• Creating a Community Where Everyone Belongs

Know someone who needs support to have their voice heard?

My Life is Wigan Council’s Independent Advocacy provider and we’ve continued to offer a range of confidential, completely independent advocacy services throughout the pandemic.

We help people to make choices about their life, understand their rights and get their voices heard. If you know someone who might be finding it difficult to have a say in their own care and support, let us know.  

So, how can we help?

We aim to give people as much control as possible in their lives, by: 

  • Giving people information and helping them to understand it, so that they can make choices around their own life, care and support
  • Giving people a voice, to speak up about things that concern them
  • Helping people to understand the reasons for important decisions and the different options available to them
  • Speaking for people, to protect their rights and interests, if they are unable to do this for themselves
  • Going to meetings for people and finding groups that may support them

Most importantly, we make sure that any decisions are made as a result of a person’s own wants and needs. We are also independent, so we work for the individual themselves, not social services, care homes, the police or any other organisation, including My Life.

We help people in many ways, including:

  • When they are going through a social care assessment, sometimes called an adult needs assessment or support planning
  • When they are going through a carer’s assessment, to see if they need support because they care for someone else
  • When they are moving from children’s to adult care. This is called transition planning
  • When a social worker wants to review someone’s care and support plan
  • When a person may be in danger because they are vulnerable or have been abused, during an adult safeguarding enquiry

We work with people with a range of support needs, including older people and those with learning disabilities and mental health issues.

If you think you may need an advocate for any reason at all, please contact us Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm. We look forward to your call.

Tel: 01257 472900 and press option 2.

Email: advocacy@my-life.org.uk

Web: www.my-life.org.uk/advocacy

Know someone who needs support to have their voice heard?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign up to our newsletter

[sibwp_form id=2]
Thompson House
Wigan Council
Lancashire County Council
Shop 4 support
Care Quality Commission
NHS England

Registered charity number 1167858 - Registered office: Thompson House Equestrian Centre, Off Pepper Lane, Standish, Wigan, Lancashire, WN6 0PP

  • Copyright © 2014 - 2024 My Life. All Rights Reserved.